Thursday, August 15, 2013

New math workshop rotations!

I am excited to try a new way of rotating my kids through math this year!  I always used a 3-way rotation method, but usually had it on the Smartboard.  I also would have my math lesson on the Smartboard, so I was always moving back and forth between slides and it got confusing.  This pocket chart can stay on the wall at all times and I just have to write the different tasks the kids will be doing on the whiteboard!  Some math workshops I have found online had four rotations (and included a math facts practice one), but I just know that with everything else my district has us do I would never get through four! 



My plan is to give a pretest at the start of each unit.  Then make three groups of kids (low, medium, high).  The low group will be the "Grupo Azul." They will start by playing the math game with someone else to warm up and practice.  I have also found that it is better for me not to have the low group first, since I usually tweak and improve upon my lesson with each successive rotation and so the low group doesn't benefit from these adjustments if they go first.  The high group will be the "Grupo Amarillo" since they are usually capable of completing the math work alone without too much teacher guidance. 

Here is the link to the math workshop cards. The pocket chart is from the Dollar Tree and the little whiteboard is from Office Max.


No comments:

Post a Comment